How This Nourishes Your Body
I have been on a huge turmeric kick lately. I love what it does for my skin, and inflammation in the body in general. This is a Turmeric Paste that is easy to make and great to have on hand for many recipes, drinks, or just to eat right off the spoon, if you are into that sort of thing;)
This paste is full of healing spices and having it already made, sitting in the fridge makes it easy and convenient to add a super nutrition boost to anything!
Turmeric Paste Benefits
The many amazing health benefits of Turmeric
- Anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, antiseptic
- Boosts the immune system
- Promotes healthy digestion
- Liver detoxifier
- Regulates metabolism
- Beneficial for skin conditions
- Promotes healthy cholesterol levels
- Improves brain function and reduces risk of brain disease
How to Consume Turmeric
A few things to consider:
- The active ingredient in turmeric, Curcumin is fat-soluble- meaning that turmeric needs to be ingested with a healthy fat to be able to be absorbed into the body.
- Curcumin also gets better absorbed with combined with a bit of black pepper.
- Consider using turmeric with coconut oil, milk, olive oil, butter or ghee, with a touch of black pepper. In meals or drinks.
How to Use the Paste
My favorite way to use the turmeric paste is to add it to a little warmed homemade coconut milk to make golden milk. Golden Milk is an immune-boosting and healing drink that ancient cultures have used for years to benefit health.
You can also use the paste to flavor stir fries, stews, soups, eggs, veggies, and anything else you have on hand.
- You can use coconut oil, butter, or ghee. I like to do a combination of ghee and coconut oil.
- Adding honey is optional, depending on the type of dishes and drinks you are going to use the paste for.
Recipe Cooking Instructions
- Combine pepper, ginger, cinnamon, and salt in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Combine turmeric and 1 1/2 cups of water in a pot, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon. Bring mixture to a very gentle simmer and add another 1/2 cup of water.
- Continue to stir with wooden spoon.
- Add mixed spices and continue to cook and stir on low for 3 minutes, until the paste becomes thick and smooth
- Turn off heat and add coconut oil or butter, or a combo of the two. Continue to stir until completely smooth.
- Add optional honey while mixture cools.
- Transfer to glass jar.
- The paste will thicken as it cools. Place lid on jar after mixture has completely cooled.
- Store in fridge for 2-3 weeks