How This Nourishes Your Body
I am completely obsessed with coconuts and coconut oil, all things coconut – and for a good reason. The coconut provides a nutritious source of meat, juice, milk, and oil that has fed and nourished populations around the world for generations. In many cultures, coconut is a staple in the diet and provides the majority of the food eaten. Nearly one third of the world’s population depends on coconut to some degree for their food and their economy.
“Coconut oil is of special interest because it possesses healing properties far beyond that of any other dietary oil and is extensively used in traditional medicine among Asian and Pacific populations. Pacific Islanders consider coconut oil to be the cure for all illness. The coconut palm is so highly valued by them as both a source of food and medicine that it is called “The Tree of Life.” Only recently has modern medical science unlocked the secrets to coconut’s amazing healing powers” (1).
Nutritional Profile of Coconut Oil
- What makes this oil so nutrient dense is the medium chain fatty acids and lauric acid it is composed of.
- Around 50 percent of the fat in coconut oil is lauric acid, which is rarely found in nature. Lauric Acid is a special substance found in coconut oil and breast milk. It is extremely nourishing and is converted into a compound which destroys viruses, bacteria, fungus, and parasites.
- Coconut oil is comprised of medium chain fatty acids (MCFAs) which do not need to be emulsified by bile but is absorbed directly to the liver, where it is converted into quick energy. They do not break down and turn rancid under high heat (unlike vegetable oils) which makes it the best choice for cooking and baking.
This Oil, in addition to the medium chain fatty acids, is rich in Vitamin E, Vitamin K and Iron. It also contains compounds such as phenolic antioxidants that are known to help our systems in combating different kinds of health issues.
I love using this coconut oil and buying it in bulk because I go through it so fast!
Superfood Benefits and Reasons to Eat
- The medium chain saturated fats in coconut oil are scientifically proven to speed up the fat burning process in our body which is called thermogenesis.
- These fats go strait to the liver and are converted to energy, not stored as fat.
- Coconut Oil consists of about 66% medium chain fatty acids which stimulates the thyroid, weight loss, accelerated healing and an increases the metabolic rate.
- The lauric acid and medium chained saturated fats in coconut oil encourage cell renewing and repair making it an excellent food to support healthy hair and skin.
- Coconut oil also has incredible benefits when used externally. When applied to directly to the skin or hair, the amazing lauric acid quickly nourishes and hydrates in ways that are incomparable to modern lotions and creams.
- Use as lotion, hair conditioner, eye cream, makeup remover, shaving cream, and even face wash.
- Coconut Oil is amazing for hormone health. It provides the necessary building blocks for hormone production and reduces inflammation in the body.
- The cholesterol in coconut oil is needed for formation of healthy cell membranes and is a precursor to all important hormones like progesterone, estrogen, and FSH. We cannot have proper hormonal balance without adequate amounts of saturated fats.
- If you really need help with hormones, aim to consume at least 3 tablespoons of coconut oil a day.
- The medium chain fatty acids in coconut oil are antimicrobial, anti-tumor, antiparasitic, and significantly strengthen the immune-system.
- Consuming coconut oil on a daily basis provides protection against viruses, bacteria, parasites, and disease that are present all around.
- The antimicrobial and anti-viral activity of coconut oil makes it a great remedy for any rashes, ear infection, cold sore, Fungal and/or yeast infections.
- Because the medium chain fatty acids (MCFAs) in coconut oil do not need to be emulsified by bile and is absorbed directly to the liver, it converts straight into quick energy.
- When you need a boost, consume coconut oil for endless energy and appetite suppression.
6. It has 100s of uses! I could go on and on about what coconut oil can be used for- I can’t even buy enough. Ever.
- Cooking and baking
- Stir in tea or coffee
- Massage Cream
- Body Care
- Tooth Paste (mixed with baking soda)
- Safe diaper cream
- To prevent stretch marks during pregnancy
- As a naturally SPF 4 sunscreen
- Rubbed on lips as a natural chap stick
- Hair care- deep conditioner
- With apple cider vinegar as a natural treatment for lice that actually works
- Oil pulling with coconut oil and a drop of oregano oil helps improve gum health
- Can reduce the itch of mosquito bites
- Can help resolve acne when used regularly
- Some evidence shows that the beneficial fats in coconut oil can help with depression and anxiety
And SO much more. Go ahead and begin enjoying the miracle that is coconut oil.
Collins, Joshua. Amazing Coconut Oil: Natures Remedy for Weight Loss, Skin & Hair, and Optimal Health. 2013.
Fallon, S. Fats. From Nourishing Traditions: The Cookbook that Challenges Politically Correct Nutrition and the Diet Dictocrats, New Trends Publ., 1999.