Acne, rosacea, eczema, dry flaky skin, and hyperpigmintation are all conditions we would rather be without. Healing my own skin and the skin of people I love is the main reason I became an Esthetician.
After years of experimentation, functional medicine training, and client work- I have established three very powerful daily practices that will help transform any skin condition and create Beautiful Skin.
1. Eat and Drink for Beautiful Skin
The foods we eat on a daily basis are the building blocks for glowing healthy skin. An anti-inflammatory, hormone balancing diet does wonders.
Key points to remember:
- Eat vegetables at every meal- Incorporating antioxident vegetables (leafy greens and cruciferous veggies in particular) at every meal is the best way to balance hormones, detoxify the body, and nourish the skin. Once you do this for a month, it becomes a habit- and loading the veggies in at every meal becomes natural.
- Eat healing fats, avoid toxic fats: Toxic fats like canola, soy, vegetable, and corn oil are highly inflammatory to the skin. Be aware, most restaurants cook with these oils, and processed and packages foods are full of them. Healing fats like coconut oil, avocado, and ghee are extremely healing to the skin. Try incorporating healthy fats with your vegetables at every meal.
- Avoid gluten, sugar, and dairy: The most inflammatory and problematic foods for the skin.
- Drink at least 1/2 your body weight in ounces of filtered water each day- 20-30 ounces of that being first thing in the morning to flush out toxins and keep the skin hydrated, wrinkle free, and glowing.
2. Eliminate for Beautiful Skin
If you are eating a clean diet and are using natural personal care products- it might be time to do further investigating on what is triggering the inflammation in your unique body. Everyone is different.
Choose 1 thing at a time to eliminate for 3 weeks and see if your skin improves.
- Stress- this is the main problem for most people. Try to take a few weeks to evaluate what is causing you to stress, and what fills you up. Make sure to do something each day that fills you up, brings you joy, and relaxes you.
- Make up/ face lotion- It is important to choose one thing in your skin care routine to change at a time to determine if it is causing your skin to react.
3. Visualize/ Generate Positive Healing Emotions for Beautiful Skin
Although I was eating perfect, managing stress, and detoxing day after day- nothing had a bigger impact on my skin and health than this daily practice.
Thanks to the groundbreaking discover of neuroplasticity, we now know that the mind has a direct impact on our skin and entire body. Your mind physically changes your brain, and your brain physically changes your body.
Every thought we think and every emotion we feel has a biochemical reaction in the body, creating hormones and brain chemicals. Negative, angry, and worried emotions create a slew of hormones and chemicals that completely disrupt our body’s natural healing systems, hence why skin conditions seem to get worse under stress. When you hate your skin, constantly focusing on what is wrong with it, and putting yourself down- you are literally shutting off the body’s system that will heal the issue.
The great news is that you can generate positive and healing emotions, hormones, and brain chemicals at will. The more you take time out of your day to truly think about what you are grateful for, what brings you joy, and what excites you- the more you are generating healing chemicals and putting your body in a state that will begin to heal any imbalance that may be going on.
Making each of these practices a daily occurrence is what brings about true transformation. Here is a daily template and checklist you can follow.
Daily Health Check List for Beautiful Skin
- Morning gratitude _____
- Daily Visualization of healthy skin/generating positive emotions thinking of something you love, are grateful for, or what you want to happen in future. _____
- Daily water: 1/2 your bodyweight in ounces _____
- Meals full of vegetables and healthy fats _____
- Avoiding chosen elimination food _____
- Daily relaxation/joy activity _____
Eating for Glowing Skin and Hormonal Balance
Is Health and Happiness all in your Head?
i’m starting with drinking more water this year 🙂
Love that! Such a small change that makes a huge difference:)
I have gotten into drinking nice cold water and I have felt a big difference all ready
Me to Terri! It is amazing what a difference water makes in energy!
Managing stress plays such a huge role in health! You could be doing everything else right and your stress level still be holding you back.
Yes Alonda! That is definitely what I have found from my own life.
Oh, I so needed this! Acne is a horrible reoccurring problem I face. I love that you brought up neuroplasticity in this. I’ve started speaking out that I am healthy and healed. I will care for my skin because it is part of my body that is His temple. I am also going to keep proclaiming that I am cured and watch as this becomes evident.
I love this Hannah! I also had acne and it was such a huge help to take my focus away from what I did not like about it and put it on what I did want:)
Drinking water is one of the most valuable thing to get beautiful skin. You have shared all the great tips in above post for natural beauty.