The Oil Cleansing Method is like giving your skin a hug!
Throw out those ‘oil free’ cleansers, toss the moisturizers filled with a thousand toxic ingredients that do nothing but cause skin imbalances.
Enter -> Oil Cleansing Method. Yes, dousing your face with oil, and no it does not make you break out.
Let me explain. . . Oil is a natural part of our skin’s structure, our body produces oil in order to protect and nourish itself. It’s when oil production goes out of control – often as a result of imbalanced hormones – that skin issues arise. The key to balancing your skin’s oil production is to balance the hormones that drive oil production inside your body.
When you continually strip the natural oils from your face, your body tries to compensate by producing more, leading to break outs, and skin disorders. On the other hand, when you provide your body with nourishing oils, the over production does not occur.
Basically, ‘like’ dissolves ‘like’. So, cleansing with clean oil actually dissolves the bad oil on the face. It’s brilliant. And, it works.
Oil Cleansing Method
Traditional cultures across the world use oil to nourish the skin and scalp, and it’s why our body produces it on its own, no matter what we do to try and stop it.
There are several different approaches to oil cleansing method, depending on your skin type and needs. The overall method is the same, but the type of oils used differs from person to person based on the individuals skin. Below is a ‘basic’ method, along with a few variations that have worked well for me as well as my clients.
In short, just remember that you need a cleansing oil, and a nourishing oil.
Basic Oil Cleansing Method
- One larger washcloth, separate from makeup-remover washcloth
- Warm water
- Deep cleansing oil: Castor Oil
- Nourishing Oil: Coconut Oil, Jojoba or Olive Oil
1. Soak your washcloth in warm water.
2. Blend the two oils, generally use around 1Tbs. total oil each time.
- Dry skin: mix one part castor oil with five to ten parts nourishing oil. The drier your skin, the less castor oil you’ll use.
- Normal skin: mix one part castor oil with four to five parts nourishing oil.
- Oily skin: mix one part castor oil with three parts nourishing oil.
3. Pour oil into your cupped palm and apply oil to face. Massage the oil into your skin gently and slowly.
4. Wring out the warm washcloth so it is damp, not soaking. Apply over face and allow it to warm your skin for a few moments. Gently wipe the oil from your face with the washcloth.
5. If your skin feels too tight or dry after the cleanse, moisturize with a tad of coconut oil and try adding less castor oil next time.
Try different combinations of nourishing and cleansing oils to see what works best with your skin.
My favorites + Tips:
- I personally love olive oil OR jojoba oil mixed with castor oil finished with coconut oil as a moisturizer.
- Coconut oil is amazing for all skin types, and is antibacterial to fight acne or blemishes.
- When I am in a time crunch, I usually just rub a large amount of coconut oil on my face, and wash off in the shower.
- The castor oil is extremely cleansing, most people do not need to do a deep oil cleanse every night. Simply applying a nourishing oil and warm wash cloth works for other nights of the week.
Other Nourishing Oils Include:
- Jojoba Oil (for all skin types, rosacea, eczema)
- Olive Oil (extra-nourishing oil, great for dry skin)
- Grapeseed Oil (all-purpose oil, for all skin types, sensitive or “disobedient” skin)
- Avocado Oil (eczema, psoriasis, or sensitive skin)
- Borage Oil (for skin prone to redness, eczema, psoriasis, rosacea or acne)
Other Cleansing Oils
- Hazel Nut Oil
Begin Oil Cleansing
If you have been using harsh, chemical laden cleansers- your skin may go through an adjustment period as it begins to become balanced once again, stick with it! Your skin will be clear, glowing, and free of those pesky break outs.
Experiment with different oils, combinations, and oil ratios. The sooner you discover what your skin thrives off of, the sooner you will be free of trying cleanser after cleanser, brand after brand, hoping for problem free skin. Just know, you are not stuck with problem skin- it can be balanced and made new with diet and nourishing topical treatments.
Oil cleansing + a hormone balancing diet = Clear, glowing, problem free skin!