As an Esthetician turned Holistic Health Practitioner, I am slightly obsessed with skin. What makes it beautiful, what harms it, and what to do to bring out peoples best.
But let’s be honest, after I had my daughter (almost two years ago!) my skin care routine went out the window. Like, I didn’t do anything. I literally washed my face with water and my makeup remover cloth, maybe Dr. Bronners on a good day. That’s it. Not even lotion. Crazy I know.
Just recently, I started to notice my skin needing some serious TLC so I knew it was time to start a regime again.
I get asked all the time about what the best skin care line is that will actually make difference, especially from those of us that are getting older and are really starting to see the changes.
I thought I would share with you what I share with my clients in a skin consultation, and my thoughts may surprise you.
Are Expensive Products Worth the Hype?
First, you need to know that the skin care industry is a billion dollar industry for a reason. Women want to look better and they will pay for flawless skin, and companies know it. Every skin care line I know has brilliant marketing that makes every product intriguing with the benefits they claim. They get me too!
Trust me, I went through years of testing product lines. From the highest end ($200 for an ounce of cream!) to natural DIY ingredients.
So, do you really get what you pay for? Are the expensive skin care lines more effective than cheaper ones? Maybe not. . .
What Really Creates Flawless Skin
Almost all of my clients want a good skincare, but don’t want to spend hundreds of dollars on it.
So I let them in on some good news. . .
What makes the biggest difference on your skin has little to do with skin care.
Often times I was expected to sell expensive products, but I couldn’t run from what I knew actually makes the most difference so I started consulting instead of selling. Best decision ever.
How to Create Flawless Skin
1. Nutrition Therapy
No surprise here. What and the quality of the food and water you consume changes everything. Inflammation, hormonal imbalance, and nutritional deficiencies often times show up first on your skin. Which is why I was able to go almost two years without ANY skincare routine because my diet was clean and full of the micronutrients and amino acids I needed.
A few concepts to keep in mind:
- Hydration: The correlation between dehydration and the quality of your skin is astonishing. From wrinkles to acne to dull skin, it can all be transformed if you drink enough and the right kind of water. I often give my clients a 30-day water challenge where they drink a certain amount of spring water every day and document how their skin (and energy) changes.
- Micronutrients: Our skin depends on an abundance of micronutrients, amino acids, and essential fatty acids. Having a diet full of vegetables, green drinks, bone broths, clean proteins, and healthy fats will transform your body. Most people are seriously lacking in micronutrients(vitamins and minerals) which is why a recommend a good liquid mineral supplement, bone broth, greens powders, fermented foods and lots of vegetables. These are beauty builders.
- Gut Health: The health of your gut effects how your skin looks. Especially in cases of acne, eczema, and hormonal imbalance. Eating the right foods and avoiding the harmful ones while taking a few key supplements for your gut will make a huge difference.
Detoxification will take you farther than any cream or serum ever could.
Getting older does not mean our bodies begin to have problems, if we keep giving it the nutrients it needs, cleaning out the toxins it accumulates and moving- the mind and body will stay sharp and functional until death! The problem is, we are not cleaning out the toxins that accumulate each day- so they keep building up leading to aging, skin problems, disease.
Because we are exposed to an insane amount of toxins each day, our bodies can’t keep up with clearing them out which is leading to the breakdown of our skin.
The best detoxification techniques are:
- Fasting/intermittent fasting: Hands down the most powerful way to flawless skin and antiaging. Truly, you can look like a different person if you incorporate some type of fasting (safely, of course). When your body is not digesting, it is rejuvenating. It’s clearing out the bad and building the new. Try having at least a 12-16 hour window between dinner and breakfast to give your body the time it needs to rejuvenate.
- Red Light Therapy
- Cold Therapy
- Dry Brushing
3. Sun Protection
You all know I am a huge fan of the sun. There is a healing science of sunbathing. Ancient cultures knew how to use the sun to heal all kinds of illnesses, and bring about radiant health. The vitamin D that comes from the sun is vital for hormonal balance and immune function. We need to be in the sun every day.
Depending on your genetic makeup and skin type, the sun can cause your skin to age with sunspots, wrinkles, and discoloration. Some people with certain genes it doesn’t as much (lucky you!) but most of us need protection.
I always wear something to protect the most at-risk areas on my skin. So when I go out in the sun each day, I make sure I am wearing a hat or mineral-based sunscreen on my face and hands, but allow the rest of my body to get plenty of sun without getting burned.
Make sure your makeup or morning lotion has SPF in it because even those little moments of sun exposure doing errands or driving to and from places each day adds up. The most preventative thing you can do for flawless skin is protect your face every. single. day.
When people are desperate to renew their skin or slow down aging, they ask about certain product lines they have been hearing about.
I sit them down and tell them the truth.
Skin treatments transform your skin way more than the skincare you use each day.
So instead of spending a lot of money on expensive skin care – spend it skin treatments.
We can do amazing things with technology, especially when it comes to skin. These skin treatments are incredible and provide the results most people are looking for.
- Red, Blue, and Broad Ban Light Therapy
- Laser Skin Rejuvenation
- Specialty facial massage for lymphatic detox and cellular rejuvenation
These treatments actually remove skin damage and stimulate cellular renewal. That’s what changes the skin.
You know I couldn’t write a whole post without mentioning the mind. I have personally witnessed that your mind has an incredible impact on your skin and aging. Have you ever seen those pictures of people before going through a really stressful situation and after? They look like a different person and 10+ years older. That’s because stress turns off your immune, endocrine, and digestive system – meaning your body is degenerating not rejuvenating.
The good news is you don’t have to avoid stress or hard life circumstances, you just have to change your perception about them to save your body (and beauty). Meaning, if you can view what you are going through in non-resistance, surrender, and how it is making you a better person, your immune, endocrine, and digestive system stays turned on!
Your mind is the signal as to what your body does. That’s amazing.
If you focus on the steps above, your skin will be transforming before your eyes. Though it is still good to have an at-home routine which can be minimal and inexpensive!
For your health and hormones, I always recommend a non-toxic, all natural skin care. Either DIY or now there are hundreds of quality brands.
- Exfoliate/mask a few times a week
Read this post with more details on this routine and some product options!
Do I do all of this every day? Nope. Some days it’s just cleanse and moisturize and it works great if you have all of the other areas taken care of.
Your skin care routine can be minimal and inexpensive. Instead of spening your money on expensive skin care, spend it on good food, water, sun protection, and skin treatments.