Most people have heard about The Power of Belief and limiting beliefs, but the scientific community has taken this concept and given us incredible truth that the beliefs we hold affect every cell in our body, every relationship we have, and our daily behavior.
Your Two Minds
We have two minds: Conscious & Subconscious
- Only consists of the thoughts you are intentionally choosing to think.
- Only contributes to 5% of our daily behaviors.
- “As a man thinks in his heart, so is he” – Prov 23:7 – your true heart and identity is your subconscious.
- Controls how we perceive life, how we react to situations, what we think about ourselves, and what we can accomplish.
- It is programmed based on each thought, action, emotion, and experience we have ever had in life.
- Your subconscious is what is running you 95% of the time.
- When you are not conscientiously thinking (when your mind wanders, when you react to situations without thinking, and when you are driving and you realize you have zoned out) your subconscious is what is operating and driving you on autopilot.
- Perception is reality. We are all perceiving this life completely differently right now based on the filter of our unique subconscious.
- Whatever your reality is, is the reality of your subconscious. You do not become what you think, you become what you believe, and all beliefs are stored in subconscious.
- We want what is in our subconscious to be in line with the person we want to be- most of the time it is not.
The Power of Belief
One amazing study was done examining the power of belief and the mind. This study took 84 hotel attendants with cleaning responsibilities and told half of them that their daily work satisfied the Surgeon General’s recommendations for an active lifestyle as exercise. They told the other half nothing.
“As a result, compared with the control group, they showed a decrease in weight, blood pressure, body fat, waist-to-hip ratio, and body mass index. These results support the hypothesis that exercise affects health in part or in whole via the placebo effect.”
That is incredible! Our thoughts about food and exercise can physically change our body.
Common Limiting Beliefs
- I have to prove my worth
- I can’t pursue my dreams because I may fail.
- Lack (I do not have enough time, money, energy)
- I’m not enough (good, educated, thin, young, smart, rich enough).
- I need to make others happy so I won’t be rejected.
- I can’t be happy until he/she changes.
- I have to earn other people’s approval to feel good about myself.
- I should be farther along than I am.
- Whatever I’m doing, I should be doing something else.
You may not even know you have some of these beliefs, but if you become aware that you might, then you can change them. Do any of these resonate with you?
- We do not get what we want, we get what we believe. We may have limiting beliefs holding us back in certain areas of our life.
- Fear can destroy the most effective protocol and that faith can heal with no protocol at all- whatever you truly believe determines your outcome: your body, health, success, and relationships.
What are your beliefs?
You may have a ‘program or belief’ (way of thinking, or bad habit) that has become something your do unconsciously and drives you each day and could possibly be holding you back in certain areas of your life.
- Where is one area you feel stuck?
- What is one mindset you keep going back to?
- What area of life do you view negatively?
- What bad habit can you not stop?
- What health issue are your struggling with?
The root of that is in your subconscious.
You may have personality traits or mindsets that have become automatic for you. Seeing lack? Negativity? Selfishness? Anxiety? Lack of confidence? The amazing news is, once we realize that these are all just learned and memorized emotions, they can all be changed!
What is one limiting belief YOU want to break through?