As we all journey through life, most of us inevitably come to the conclusion that nothing has a bigger impact over us more than our thoughts.
We discover that the obstacles in life are not in the way, they are the way.
Thoughts are physical structures in your brain that look like trees- the more you think one particular thought, the more that structure grows. I wrote before about how thoughts impact our health and body, and how we become what we visualize. These posts are important to understand why you would even want to detox your thought life.
Neuroplasticity is a new scientific discovery proving that we can literally change our brains through our thoughts and choices. We can physically create new neural pathways and destroy old ones. We can wire out toxic beliefs, experiences, and thinking patterns and wire in truths, good habits, and outstanding thinking patterns.
The more you focus on something — whether that’s your faults or your worries or social media or God — the more that becomes your reality, the more it becomes written into the neural connections of your brain.
We can own our neuroplasticity. We can own the fact that we choose who we want to be, how we want to react to situations, and what we will accomplish in life.
We can own that our brain is constantly rewiring, for better or for worse depending on the information we are giving it. We choose to see beauty in all and operate out of love, because we know that we are creating our future selves and who we want to be (physically!)
Over the years, we have all wired in a toxic thinking pattern or thought. It might be worry, anger, a traumatic experience, lust, comparison, etc.
The good news is, whatever toxic thoughts you are struggling with, you can wire it out of your brain AND you can wire in truth and what you do want to believe. Basically, you can create the landscape of your brain- and the person you want to become.
How it works:
- Ask the Holy Spirit to reveal what toxic thinking pattern you need to get rid of and what truth or mindset you need to wire in.
- Focus on that one thought and that one only for 21-30 days straight, every single day for 5-10 minutes a day. Do not try to do multiple thoughts at once- it wont work. It has to be focused and intentional.
- You will be wiring that toxic thought out as you wire a new truth in at the same time.
- By doing this, you are creating new neural pathways and destroying old ones so you can have a new “default” way of seeing that issue instead of the toxic way you saw it previously.
What to do Each Day for 21-30 Days:
- Identify the toxic thought, worry, or emotion. And the mindset or habit you want to pick up.
- Surrender it over to God- visually picture him taking it from you, you laying it on the cross, throwing it in the fire etc- this activates both parts of the brain and creates new connections.
- Replace it with a truth and the mindset you desire to have: Identify a truth you want to replace the toxic thought with. So everyday when that toxic thought comes up, you replace it with the person you do want to be and the truth you do want to believe and live from.
- Journal about what it will be like when you are free from that toxic thought and when you have mastered that habit or mindset.
- Visualize that new truth growing and crowding out the toxic- this is what actually is happening.
- Set 3 triggers throughout your day. Some people set alarms on their phones, I personally do this right when I wake up, before lunch, and before bed to make it easy to remember.
- In these 3 times. Stop whatever you are doing and remind yourself of the mindset you want to pick up, and ask the holy spirit to lead your spirit to make that happen.
- The above steps, take 7-10 minutes out of your day to go through- and then throughout the day, whenever that thought comes up, replace it with your truth.
1. First thing when you wake up: Think/write 3 things you are grateful for.
2. Throughout the day- practice a gratitude flow, be present and thankful in each moment that you can.
3. Take 10 minutes to work on your toxic thought and truth
4. Have 10-60 minutes of prayer, reading, meditation a day.
5. 3 times a day remind yourself and get focused on your goal and the truth God is working on within you.
Areas to Wire Out
- Criticism: Seeing what you don’t like automatically: about yourself, about the world, about, about your life
- Orphan spirit: Seeing lack instead of abundance first.
- Fear: Doing actions out of fear instead of love
- A traumatic experience
Habits/Mindsets to Wire In
- Setting intentions each day
- looking at each situation with a different perception
- taking each thought captive and replacing toxic ones.
- Optimism: Seeing what you do like verses what you dont like: about yourself, about the world, about, about your life in everything find things that you like in everyone you talk to and every situation you are in
- Love and Patience
- Drinking more water
- Eating tons of veggies
- Exercise and movement
- Daily detoxing strategies
Now, just pick one area you want to wire in, and one area you want to wire out and focus on that and that alone every single day for one month. If it is a bigger goal I sometimes go three months until I feel I really have it down.
Do not be overwhelmed, as long as you take just a short amount of time to work on just your one area each day, you brain will begin to change- and be encouraged that the more you do this, the easier it becomes!