Absolutely incredible research has been done over the recent years studying the heart, and how it effects your entire body.
We once thought that the heart was just an organ used to pump blood- but come to find out, it is much, much more powerful than that. The Institute of Heartmath is an incredible organization that has been conducting research on the heart for years. Through different techniques and technologies that they have invented, they help people use the power of their heart system for emotional, mental, and physical healing.
Your Heart Effects the Environment
- Each individual’s thoughts, attitudes and emotions emit energetic fields.
Your field environments not only affect you, your health and perspective on life, they also influence your relationships and experiences in your social field environments as you interact with people. In other words, you truly are radiating to people all around you- and they can subconsciously pick it up. We all experience this right? There are some people we just ‘like’ right away before they even talk. Then there are others that we feel weird about, even before they say anything. It is because of what their heart electromagnetic field is radiating, and your field is picking it up. In other words, you truly cannot hide what is going on inside of you- people pick it up- not with their mind, but their bodies. This is not woo-woo stuff, we can measure it.
- The electromagnetic field generated by the heart is the most powerful energy field produced by the body, even the brain.
- Studies conducted in HMI’s laboratory have shown that the heart’s electromagnetic field can be measured more than 5 feet away from a person.
Learn to get into a state of Coherence!
Most scientists and researchers today are fascinated with a body state called coherence. If there is one concept you should learn about soon, it is coherence.
All the research shows that the more you can experience coherence, the more your body heals, repairs, and changes for the better.
- What is it? Coherence is a state in which all of the body’s systems work together in harmony. In states of coherence, there is increased synchronization and harmony between the cognitive, emotional and physiological systems, resulting in efficient and harmonious functioning of the whole body.
- In other words, it is when you mind and body come into alignment…..so your thoughts (which are your mind) align with your emotions (which is your body)
- Most of the time we are NOT in a coherent state- when we are worried, angry, jealous, bitter, etc- our body cannot move into this healing state.
- Why does this matter? Simply put, the more you can be in a state of coherence, the healthier, happier, and more compassionate you will be.
- When you increase your personal coherence, it creates an alignment of your mind, body, emotions and spirit through the power of the heart- which strengthens the immune and hormonal systems leading to healing, and increased mental and physical health.
The Hearts Effects the Brain
- Researchers have shown that the human heart possesses the equivalent of its own brain, what they call the heart brain, which interacts and communicates with the head brain.
- The heart and brain are constantly communicating and sending each each other signals, hormones, and chemicals. Between them they continually exchange critical information that influences how the body functions.
This is where coherence comes in again: One way the heart can speak to and influence the brain is when the heart is coherent . When the heart is coherent, the body and brain begin to experience cell renewal, clarity, and better problem solving abilities.
The heart and brain are automatically in constant communication, HOWEVER, each of us also has the ability to intentionally direct our hearts to communicate in beneficial ways with our bodies, leading to incredible mental and physical change.
How to Experience Coherence
Now we know how incredible coherence is for the body- how do we access it?
- When we intentionally experience sincere positive emotions such as caring, compassion or appreciation for someone or something, the heart processes these emotions and begins to become coherent and send out positive information throughout the entire body.
- Attitudes of genuine love, appreciation, care and compassion change a field environment Coherence.
- When we meditate on gratitude, something or someone we love, a favorite place, etc- our body begins to come into a state of coherance.
- Even if you are having a bad day, you can still choose to generate positive emotions, which controls the health of the body.
It is not about thinking positive thoughts- it is about generating positive emotions that make the changes in the body. If you are thinking positive, but still feeling fear or worry- nothing will change. You need to generate feeling of joy and gratitude.
Read more about heart-brain interactions, using positive emotions to benefit us and HMI’s research at Science of the Heart.
- It is crazy to think about, but you are broadcasting and radiating to everyone around you all of the time. Whatever emotions and you are feeling, you are sending out, and people can pick those up before you even speak. So before going into an interview, or interaction with anyone- check to see what is going on inside of yourself, and generate positive emotions- this makes people perceive you completely differently.
- Your heart has a powerful way to heal the brain and body. When you focus on your heart area and think about what you love, what you are grateful for, etc, your body goes into a state of coherence- which is one of the most healing states you can be in because hormones, cells, and organs all go into balance.
- The more you can be in coherence, the healthier you will be!
I want to hear from YOU! Can you sense people before they even speak? Have you noticed healing by taking control of your mind and intentionally focusing on what you love, are grateful for, etc?
Just for Fun, I have included a technique from the Institute of Heart Math that leads you into coherence.
A quick and easy-to-learn way to add ease to your life is by practicing the Inner-Ease™ Technique. It takes only a short amount of time.
- If you are stressed, acknowledge your feelings as soon as you sense that you are out of sync or engaged in common stressors such as feelings of frustration, impatience, anxiety, overload, anger, being judgmental, mental gridlock, etc.
- Take a short time-out and do Heart-Focused Breathing:
- Breathe a little slower than you normally would.
- Imagine you are breathing through your heart or chest area.
- This has been shown to help create coherent wave patterns in your heart rhythm and help establish balance and calm in your mental and emotional nature while activating the affirming power of your heart.
- During Heart-Focused Breathing, imagine with each breath that you are drawing in a feeling of inner ease and infusing your mental and emotional nature with balance and self-care from your heart.
- When stressful feelings have calmed, affirm with a heartfelt commitment that you want to anchor and maintain a state of ease as you re-engage in your projects, challenges or daily interactions.