What is Collagen? How to Use Collagen
Gelatin and collagen are healing proteins that are found in bone broth. Our ancestors new the importance of these amazing nutrients and consumed them daily in the form of soups and stews.
Gelatin and collagen make up almost one-third of all the protein in the human body and not having enough of it effects our joints, our skin, gut, hair, and nails.
Collagen and gelatin are made by cooking the bones, connective tissues, skin, and tendons of animals that forms a powder you mix with water. Because we are not consuming homemade bone broth on a regular basis, supplementing with a gelatin/collagen powder is a wonderful and easy alternative.
Gelatin and collagen have even been called the ultimate beauty food because they are one of the best things to eat to prevent and treat wrinkles, stretch marks, and joint pain as well as strengthen and lengthen your hair skin and nails.
Nutritional deficiencies contribute to early aging, cellulite, stretch marks, and sagging jowls. Though we can manufacture collagen within our bodies, we need certain building blocks to do that. Consuming this along with a nutrient-dense diet full of protein, essential fatty acids, vitamin C and zinc, this combination is better than botox!
If you want to grow your hair, skin, nails, improve your mood, balance your hormones, and prevent wrinkles- eat collagen every day!
Benefits of Gelatin/Collagen
Gelatin/collagen have incredible benefits that affect your brain, skin, and gut!
- Gelatin is a fast source protein. It contains 18 amino acids, many of which are “essential”, meaning they must be acquired as part of our diet. These proteins are the buidling blocks for your skin and neurotransmitters! If you want to make ‘feel good’ brain chemicals, you must eat the correct forms of proteins!
- It helps heal the gut lining: Does this by enhancing gastric acid secretion and restoring a healthy mucosal lining in the stomach. When your body can effectively break down and absorb the food you’re eating, you reduce the amount of inflammation in the gut and entire body.
- Gelatin helps seal the colon so that nutrients may be absorbed.
- Reduces cellulite and wrinkles.
- It helps your liver detox.
- Helps build lean muscle. Collagen is the body’s building blocks. It’s found in skin, bones, tendons, ligaments and muscle tissues.
- Helps with insomnia. This is due to the role glycine (one of the amino acids in gelatin) plays in the neurotransmitters within the brain. Research has shown that taking glycine just before bed can actually help improve sleep quality and reduce daytime sleepiness
- Helps balance hormones: Gelatin has anti-estrogenic effects which can help offset the effects of excess estrogen in the body. Too much estrogen in the body can cause inflammation, infertility, PMS, and promote accelerated aging.
Where to get Gelatin/Collagen?
Not all gelatin/collagen is the same. You must look for a brand that sources this protein from healthy, grass-fed animals raised on land without pesticides. They also must be processed minimally with no added filler ingredients. So do not go to a drug store and pick up the cheap jello packets;)
Collagen Brands I recommend:
How to Use Collagen and Collagen
The gelatin( or collagen proteins) (green vital proteins) (red can great lakes)you use to make jello type desserts and needs hot water to be dissolved.
- I love making this beautifying chocolate pudding or healthy marshmallows with it.
- This coconut milk latte with brain octane oil and collagen is an amazing breakfast!
Collagen: (or blue collagen peptides) (green can great lakes)Dissolves in water and does not make anything gel.
- I use this in my teas, water, and smoothies. Simply add 2 tablespoons to your smoothie or water for an extra boost of healing protein. An amazing way to start your day!