How This Nourishes Your Body
Sweet Quinoa Bowl
I love this Quinoa Bowl! Some weeks, every week honestly, I need a quick meal that is nourishing, fast, does not take a lot of thinking, and I can make in big batches to have all throughout the week. This lovely bowl gets the job done.
It provides quite the variety between the fresh vegetables, quinoa, nuts, apple cider vinegar, and EVOO. It has just the right amount of sweetness and I find it makes a great side dish for other random meals.
Quinoa makes life easier. It is loaded with protein, fiber, antioxidants, vitamins, minerals. . . and all I have to do is add water;) Plus, it really sucks in flavors and goes well with anything. Which is why chopping up some vegetables, throwing in some spices, and adding a little dressing is all it takes to make a gourmet meal with very little effort. Story of my life.
Quinoa is actually not a grain but a seed, making it gluten free, high in protein and fiber witch provides balanced energy and satiety.
Facts on Quinoa Bowl
1. Twenty years ago, NASA researchers declared quinoa the perfect inflight snack for astronauts on long-term missions because it is mineral-rich, gluten-free and contains all essential amino acids.
2. Quinoa is part of a protein-rich plant family that includes other iron rich plants like spinach and beets.
3. 1 serving of quinoa fills 49% of our daily magnesium needs.
1. Soak quinoa and nuts overnight, optional
2. In a large bowl combine quinoa, green onions,and peppers.
If you wish to lightly saute the vegetables in coconut oil- go ahead and do that now.
3. In a small bowl whisk together apple cider vinegar, olive oil, maple syrup, sea salt..
4. Toss mixture with quinoa and top with sunflower seeds or walnuts and sprouts, optional
I had no idea that quinoa was so high in magnesium – what a wonderful discovery since I love quinoa! Thanks for the info!