How This Nourishes Your Body
4 Ingredient Banana Berry Ice Cream
This spring has been more beautiful than I remember it being in the past- It could be the fact that I was living in Costa Rica last year and completely missed the season so everything seems more intense now. In any matter, I am loving it!
Summer is on its way and this warm weather has got me craving more cooling food. Berries are absolutely a superfood for your entire body that you should try to consume, especially in the summer!
Fun Fact: Berries are super rich in phytonutrients and anti-oxidants. The primary anti-oxidant in blueberries is anthocyanins. The anthocyanins are very helpful in protecting the skin from UV radiation so if you are going to be in the sun for a while- eat blueberries before!
- You can use any kind of berries that you would like, or a mixture. I just use a frozen berry mix.
- If you want more sweetness, feel free to add a few drops of stevia or raw honey to the mix.
- Coconut cream is different than coconut butter or oil. The easiest way to do it is put a can of full fat coconut milk in the fridge for a couple of hours and the cream will solidify and then you can open it up and scoop it right out. They do sell coconut cream at health food stores in the baking section if you are interested 🙂 I like to use it for soups, smoothies, or just to eat it off the spoon 😉
- You can also sub an avocado instead of the bananas for less sugar. It will be more like a pudding- but still delicious!
- Place banana slices on a plate, separating each slice. Place slices in freezer for at least 2 hours but overnight is best.
- Remove strawberries and bananas from freezer and place in food processor or blender. In the blender, use the pulse button. It will be difficult to blend at first, and you might have to shake the pitcher to redistribute the banana pieces so that it will keep blending. Blend until very thick and smooth.
- Add cream, sweetener(optional) and vanilla and blend until smooth and well-mixed.
- Transfer ice cream to a freezer container and freeze until solid.
- Scoop with ice cream scoop and serve.