Your gut, microbiome, and digestive system is the foundation of your whole body’s health. 80% of your immune system is located there. Without a healthy gut, you can’t have a healthy immune system. Without a healthy immune system, you’re open to infections, inflammation, hormone imbalances and autoimmune disease.
Your gut interacts with the outside world more than any other part of your body, taking in nutrients from food and keeping out bacteria, pathogens, and undigested food.
So many of the diseases and issues going on with people today are cause by leaky gut or intestinal permeability.
This is when we have small holes in our digestive system that allow food and other unwanted toxins loose into our blood stream.
Signs of leaky gut:
- Depression, anxiety, and mood issues
- Skin problems: acne, eczema, rosacea,
- Hormone imbalances: Infertility, PCOS, PMS
- Autoimmune conditions
- All kinds of digestive issues: Gas, bloating, constipation, diarrhea
- Chronic fatigue
- Joint and muscle pain
- Brain fog
In this day and age, almost all of us have some degree of leaky gut because of the water(chlorine, fluoride, antibiotics), food(GMOs, pesticides), and environmental toxins(heavy metals, parasites) we are exposed to.
The following are two important keys to health.
- How you digest and absorb your food.
- The bacteria that make up your microbiome and digestive system. (they out number your cells 10:1!) You want to have a diverse balance of good bacteria and make sure the bad bacteria, parasites, and yeasts are kept in check.
With a strong and sealed gut, you are protected against toxins and bacteria that you may be ingesting and not be affected by it unlike someone with a leaky gut.
Causes of leaky gut
- Inflammatory foods (does whey protein cause inflammation?)
- Gut inflections: parasites, SIBO, candida
- Medications: antibiotics, birth control, acid blocking drugs etc.
- Stress: emotional and physical
That said, we need to be giving our guts some love on a daily basis to keep or fix our health and really thrive!
How to Fix Leaky Gut and Create Amazing Health
This is a functional medicine approach to truly heal known as the “Four R’s”.
- Remove the bad: Inflammatory foods(sugar, gluten, vegetable oils,) AND hidden infections(SIBO, parasites, candida) You can get tested for these.
- Restore the good: Add essential ingredients for proper digestion and absorption, such as digestive enzymes, hydrochloric acid and bile acids. It is also incredibly important to chew your food! Be present at each meal, chew until food is liquid.
- RSueinoculate with healthy bacteria. Restoring beneficial bacteria to reestablish a healthy balance of good bacteria is critical. Do this by consuming probiotics and probiotic foods
- Repair the gut. Providing the nutrients necessary to help the gut repair is very important. L-glutamine is an amino acid that will help mend your gut lining. Drinking bone broth or collagen and supplementing with omega-3s, zinc, and herbs such as slippery elm and aloe very are very helpful! This coconut milk latte is very helpful!
- Body Ecology Products: probiotics, greens powder, and minerals
- Brain Octane Oil
- A therapeutic fish oil
- Collagen (bonus for healthy hair and skin)
The secret to thriving health is taking care of your gut. Start incorporating these for R’s today for prevention of disease and amazing health tomorrow.