How This Nourishes Your Body
An easy homemade pumpkin seed butter recipe using coconut oil and a blender or food processor. I love making my own nut butter- which is extremely easy if you have a high-speed blender like a Blendtec or Vitamix. . . it literally takes about two minutes! This does take a bit longer if you are just using a regular blender or food processor.
Notes for pumpkin seed butter
- I love using sprouted pumpkin seeds with sea salt from the RAW brand. . . found in most health food stores. Sprouted nuts and seeds are important because the nutrients are activated and the antinutrients like phytic acid are removed. Learn more about soaking and sprouting nuts and seeds here.
- You can also do this sunflower seeds or a combination of seeds!
- Omit honey if you are looking for a sugar-free version
- I love the Go-Raw sprouted pumpkin and sprouted sunflower seeds because it saves you from having to soak and sprout the seeds yourself. Why do you want to only eat nuts and seeds that are sprouted?! Because when they are not sprouted, the outer layer contains phytic acid which blocks the body’s ability so absorb minerals and is really hard on your digestive system. Learn how to sprout nuts and seeds here.
- Add pumpkin seeds and raw honey to a food processor or high power blender.
- Process on high for about 2 minutes or until the seeds are coarsely ground.
- Add half of the coconut oil and blend for another 2-4 minutes.
- Spoon in the remaining coconut oil.
- Continue to process until the seeds are ground into a paste, stopping periodically to scrape down the sides as the mixture builds up.
- The longer you blend the creamier the nut butter will become
- Store in a sealed container in refrigerator and serve at room temperature.