For the last five years, I have had different variations of the same breakfast. Of course, there are times on the weekends when I have more time and like to branch out with other paleo breakfast ideas, but having a protein smoothie or collagen pudding every morning is the breakfast that makes me feel the best and takes the least time to make.
One of the most powerful tips to takeaway: give as much time as you can between dinner and breakfast- this allows the body to have more time for healing and cellular rejuvenation versus digesting. The more time in healing mode- the healthier you will be!
Benefits of a Protein Smoothie for Breakfast
Because your body has a break from digesting food, all night long it works on healing, repairing, and rejuvenating every body system, cell, and organ. I like to keep that process going for as long as possible well into the morning which is why a smoothie is such a great first meal. It is easily digested while flooding the body with enzymes, amino acids, essential fatty acids, and minerals. Eating a big heavy breakfast when first waking up in the morning automatically takes your body out of healing mode and into digesting mode.
Starting you day with liquid nutrition is a powerful strategy for health and beauty! The more time your body has in healing mode, the more energetic and healthier you will be!
- Body has more time for healing and cellular rejuvenation with an easily digested first meal.
- The amino acids (proteins) EFA’s (fats) and minerals in smoothies are in a form that is most bioavailable for the body to use and absorb.
- You can load smoothies with so many bonus health-boosting add-ins like greens powders, vitamin C, minerals, probiotics, collagen, protein, and vitamin D3.
- An easy way to get tons of veggies in first thing in the morning.
- SO easy to make and clean- FAST breakfast for busy people.
Best Paleo Breakfast Ideas
The first thing you eat in the morning has a remarkable impact on how you feel the rest of the day. Typical breakfasts of cereal, toast, fruit juice, or bagels is one of the worst ways to start your day if you are looking for energy, a good mood, focus, and balanced hormones.
These foods spike your blood sugar which then spike cortisol and insulin which then imbalances your sex hormones (estrogen and progesterone) and causes mood issues like anxiety, low energy, and lack of focus.
The most important part of breakfast is to make sure you have healing fat, protein, and fiber. This stabilizes your hormones for the day leading to weight loss, no cravings, energy, focus, and a stable mood.
Great options for breakfast include:
- protein smoothie
- protein coconut milk chia pudding
- eggs + veggies + avocado
My Breakfast Routine
First things first. I automatically drink 32oz of water right when I wake up. This gives my body an inner bath, flushes out all of the toxins and waste that have accumulated overnight, and stimulates energy and motabolism.
Then, I make a smoothie. I never follow any recipes when making my smoothie. It is more like seeing what I have and throwing it all in the blender;)
Here are the guidelines I follow when making my morning protein smoothie:
- Throw in a few handfuls of mixed greens
- Throw in veggies: either zucchini, cucumber or celery
- Throw in a small amount of fruit: Usually berries or a pear
- Throw in healthy fat: either coconut flakes, coconut oil, coconut butter, hemp seeds, MCT oil, nut butter, full-fat coconut milk, or avocado. Be generous with the healthy fat! This is what will keep you full until lunch!
- Throw in protein: These are the protein powders I have researched and recommend. Most protein powders are toxic to the body.
- Throw in super-health add-ins
- Throw in Probiotics
- Body Ecology fermented liquids
- Prescript Assist Pill (found online)
- Inner-Eco Coconut water kefir (found in the refridgorator section in health food stores)
Lately, I have been having even less time in the morning or have not wanted to use the blender due to a sleeping baby so in that case I will make a collagen pudding: Similar to the smoothie this also gives my body easily digested protein and fat to start the day.
- Add gelatin to a bowl
- Add coconut oil
- Add protein powder
- Add greens powder
- Add minerals and vitamin C & D3
- Add water and stir until a pudding-like mixture forms
- Top with hemps seeds or coconut flakes
- YUM! Made and ready in 2 minutes!
- Handful of greens
- 1 zucchini
- 2 celery ribs
- 1/2 large avocado
- 2 tablespoons hemp seeds
- 1 cup frozen berries
- vanilla fermented plant protein or bone broth protein
After my water and smoothie, I take the rest of my supplements: