As my body is growing- (yay for babies!) my skin is in need of some extra support. I am following a diet and personal care system that I designed to prevent stretch marks and keeps the skin glowing!
I was looking all around for a body butter that had all of the healing and supporting ingredients that I wanted, and could not find any! Especially with the power of essential oils in them. So, I decided to make my own and I am in love! I love pairing this with my DIY Face Serum for a glowing skin regime.
These are the specific ingredients I chose for my DIY Body Butter:
- Shea butter has been used as early as Cleopatra’s Egypt to protect skin and hair from the harsh desert winds. Very protective for the skin.
- This powerful moisturizer is rich in vitamins A, E, and essential fatty acids that provide the nutrients necessary to boost collagen production.
- Shea Butter contains many phytonutrients that are proven to help prevent stretch marks from occurring.
- Reduces Inflammation: A 2010 study found that due to its cinnamic acid and other natural properties, shea butter was anti-inflammatory. One compound in particular, lupeol cinnamate, was found to reduce skin inflammation.
- Organic cocoa butter, derived from the cacao bean, is a nutrient-dense antioxidant that seeps deep into your skin, reducing the appearance of stretch marks and softening scar tissue.
- One of the reasons that cocoa butter is so valuable is its high concentration of antioxidant compounds, including oleic acid, palmitic acid, and stearic acid. These fatty acids are beneficial and help to neutralize free radicals throughout the body, particularly in the skin. By reducing the occurrence of oxidative stress, cocoa butter can help reduce the signs of aging, including wrinkles and age marks.
- Coconut oil has been used by Pacific Islanders for years to help nourish skin, preserve its youthfulness, and prevent wrinkles. Raw, organic unrefined coconut oil is rich in saturated fats, lauric acid, and nutrients like vitamin E. These wonder ingredients are what give organic coconut oil its smoothing and anti-aging properties and antimicrobial cleansing powers.
- Coconut oil also is able to penetrate your skin on a deeper level than your average product because of its low molecular weight and the way it bonds with proteins.
- Jojoba oil, also known as the “Gold of Desert” Jojoba oil is the only oil that closely resembles human sebum – an oily substance naturally produced by the oil glands below the skin surface, so its uses and benefits to the skin and hair are high.
- Anti-inflammatory—Jojoba oil reduces the painful swelling and redness that so often accompanies a skin injury or stretching skin. Its anti-inflammatory properties also make it an effective treatment for acne and stretch marks.
- Jojoba oil contains many biological and mineral substances, which gives you healthy and naturally glowing skin.
- Getting sufficient magnesium is one of the keys for health and longevity. Most people today are severely deficient in magnesium, getting less than half of what their ancestors did only a century ago.
- Magnesium is essential for your energy, cell growth, nerves, muscles and heart and arterial system. It helps you to relax both physically and mentally. It is responsible for over 300 biochemical reactions in your body!
- Magnesium is extremely important for a healthy digestive system, sleep, and your mental well-being– especially during pregnancy! I believe that everyone needs to supplement with magnesium because it is extremely difficult to get the amount we need through food alone.
- Magnesium is the ‘miracle mineral’ for almost all woman problems(PMS, constipation, acne, mood swings, anxiety)
- Magnesium oil is the most effective way for the body to absorb and use magnesium.
- Magnesium also is amazing at balancing hormones.
- Frankincense essential oil is considered a holy oil in the Middle East, where it has been used in
religious ceremonies for thousands of years and was one of the gifts given to Christ at his birth.
- Frankincense has huge anti-inflammatory and healing properties that directly enter into the cells of the body.
- 1/2 cup shea butter
- 1/2 cup cocoa butter
- 1/2 cup jojoba oil
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 10-20 drops essential oil of choice
*can also use 1/4 cup everything if wanting a smaller batch.
Without Cocoa butter
- 1/2 cup shea butter
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/8 cup jajoba oil
DIY Body Butter Instructions
- Put shea butter, coconut oil and jojoba oil in glass bowl then place that bowl in sauce pan that is filled with water.
- Heat stove to medium and mix oils together
- Once mixed, put in refrigerator for an hour or until solid
- With a regular mixer or hand mixer, beat the mixture until whipped and fluffy. Add essential oils and mix in.
- Fill container with body butter mixture and store at room temperature