Supplements are a very tricky area of health.
Most of the products on the market are created from poor sources, are in a form that the body does not absorb, and are actually robbing your body of the valuable nutrients it does have.
On the other hand, there are supplements out there that can seriously impact your health, energy, skin health, weight, and mood.
When giving someone a supplement routine to follow, I always choose products that are pure, tested, bio-available, and nutrients the body desperately needs more of to function properly.
The key is that they are BIOAVAILABLE, meaning actually absorbed and used in the body.
Most supplements the body does not absorb and just excretes, making it a waste of money and expensive pee;)
No matter who you are or what you have going on, the supplements below are powerful basics to take each day to improve energy, skin, hormones, brain, gut, mood, weight loss, and overall health and physical appearance.
Supplements to Take Daily
- Probiotics – liquids, foods, & pills
- Vitamin D3
- Minerals / Magnesium
- EFA (essential fatty acids) & Fat-soluble vitamins A, D, E, K2 – Cod Liver Oil or Fish Oil
- Greens Powder
- Essential Oils
- Vitamin C
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Therapeutic Protein Powders
When Sick or Extra Immunity
When Stressed Or have Anxiety
CBD TCH Free
Minimal – Basic Supplements to Take Daily
Your gut = your health. A healthy gut and microbiome is what fights off bad bacteria and virus, digests and assimilates your food, and even makes certain hormones and neurotransmitters.
- This soil based probiotic brand is one of the best on the market, backed by science and thousands of personal testimonies. I also like this probiotic to rotate in.
- These probiotic liquids are incredible for digestion, skin, and energy. You can also buy coconut water kefir at your local health food store.
- Eat fermented foods like saurkraut and kimchee once a day
- Drink fermented liquids such as coconut water kefir daily
- Rotate probiotic pill brands each month to ensure a diversity of beneficial bacteria.
Unless you are getting out in the sun for at least 20 minutes a day wearing little clothing, you need extra vitamin D. Vitamin D3 is critical for the health and function of your immune system, nervous system, and endocrine system. Calcitriol, the active form of Vitamin D, is arguably the most powerful hormone in the body that plays a huge role in hormonal and immune function.
In other words, if you want to not get sick, not have hormonal issues (thyroid, PMS, infertility etc.) not have anxiety, and have healthy energy and moods- take vitamin D3.
- For safe dosage, it is best to get your levels tested. However a safe dosage for most people 3-7ooo IUs Daily
I am a huge believer in minerals after seeing how they improved my skin, digestion, and energy!
The body does not make minerals so we must replenish them daily at full-spectrum levels for maximum nutrition, body physiology, and robust vitality.
Magnesium is the Critical Co-factor in Production of the Energy Molecule ATP. Meaning, it gives you energy, calms your nervous system, improves digestion & sleep, and improves anxiety/depression! Magnesium is a miracle nutrient, make sure you are getting it!
In others words, for energy, skin, hormones, mood, brain function and weight- take minerals!
- The most bioavailable ionic minerals I have found come from the Great Barrier Reef in Austrailia. The Mineral Composition of Our Blood Is a Mirror Image of the Mineral Composition Inherent in Ocean Water making it HIGHLY ABSORBABLE to the body. Your cells will love this stuff! These are the ocean minerals I use.
- I also love to switch up the ocean minerals with earth minerals. So many of my clients love these Fulvic Earth Minerals
- Ocean Minerals: The ocean minerals do taste like the ocean- so it is great to mix in with a smoothie or juice. Take 1/2 teaspoon- 1 teaspoon a day.
- Fulvic Earth Minerals : Take 1 dropper full daily.
Fat-Soluble Vitamins A, D, E, K2: Cod Liver Oil or Fish Oil
Cod Liver Oil
Cod liver oil is a powerful supplement that has been tried and true for ages. It is a staple in many European countries benefitting men, women, and children. The nutrients found in Cod liver oil ( vitamin A, D, E, omega 3, EPA, DHA) are critical for getting rid of inflammation, brain function, hormonal health, and immune defense. Supplementing with cod liver oil provides the body with a perfect blend of vitamin D and Omega three that support mental health as well as every cell in the body. When you think Cod Liver Oil, think healthy skin/hair, healthy heart, healthy brain, and healthy moods.
- The purest and most potent Cod Liver Oil I have found is Rosita’s Raw Cod Liver Oil
- Nordic Natural’s Fish Oils are also properly sourced and processed.
- Depending on what brand you take 1 tsp. a day is usually recommended.
Your body needs more enzymes, probiotics, and minerals for beauty, energy, and disease prevention!
One of the most powerful life-giving substances on the planet is chlorophyll which is extraordinarily useful in building new blood cells and purifying the body from daily toxins.
A quality greens powder is full of bioavailable vitamins, minerals, and enzymes that alkalize, cleanse, fuel, and detoxify the body. (which leads to increased energy, mental clarity, and disease prevention).
- This fermented greens powder This fermented spirulina are incredible because the fermentation unlocks the nutrients which allow the body benefit from them fast. They are full of probiotics, enzymes, and minerals that your cells will love!
- I also like this greens powder– full of multiple different plant blends, herbs, probiotics, and enzymes. Plus added vitamins and minerals making this a true multivitamin.
- 1-2 scoops daily in water or smoothie.
- Also great to have mid-day when you need an energy boost!
I am a fan of protein powders, but definitely not just any protein. I have very strict standards a protein powder has to fill in order for it to make it in my body.
The Protein Must:
- Be pure, properly sourced, properly processed, tested for quality
- Bioavailable and recognized by the body, preferably a real food form
- Easily digested! Helpful NOT harmful to the gut lining/microbiome like most proteins
I love protein powders because they are an absorbable way to get critical amino acids into the body. Starting your day with liquid nutrition (smoothie) with added protein, fat, fiber, probiotics, and minerals is one of the most powerful strategies you could do for your health. More on the power of liquid nutrition and paleo breakfast ideas here.
- Bone Broth Protein Powder
- pure whey protein
- Body Ecology Superfoods fermented pea protein with veggie blend
- pea protein
- 1-2 scoops daily in smoothie, soup, or water
If you really wanted to be a minimalist in the supplement department, you could just do this greens powder and a fish oil. This covers your vitamins, minerals, amino acids, chlorella, and essential fatty acids.
This greens powder is more expensive because it is meant to replace your other supplements so you can take 1 thing and get almost everything you need. You can get it cheaper through the subscription on their website.
I really like your advice and though your site is targeted to women, as a man I find it useful also. I especially like your recipes!
One thing about your product recommendations however… they are all very expensive and if I were to follow your advice I would be spending hundreds of dollars per month! I realize you are compensated by these manufacturers and they are fine products I’m sure, but would you be able to recommend some products that are priced for someone on a more limited budget?
Hi Kevin! Thanks so much for reaching out, I definitely understand and I too want to steward money well. What specific products are you looking for and I can give you a recommendation that is affordable. As far as basic supplements go, here are a few great ones.
1. Fish Oil: https://goo.gl/ab8wxX
2. Vitamin D: https://goo.gl/cbfHeG
3. Probiotic https://goo.gl/xZ1xXF
Thanks! How about a good multivitamin also? Do you recommend taking a magnesium supplement as well?
Here is a great multi: https://goo.gl/hp8WV8
I do recommend taking magnesium as well, at least a few times a week. You can do this through an Epsom salt bath, taking ocean minerals, the CALM magnesium drink, or this if you want a supplement: https://goo.gl/dCets5