This is my natural sickness remedy go-to guide when anyone comes to me asking what to do when they are sick. We use these methods in our house without fail and are so grateful to have this information when sickness hits.
This post can be used to treat any sickness: cold, throat, flu, pink eye, infections, etc.
I also have specific posts about:
First thing to note, the goal is NOT to get rid of your symptoms. Your symptoms are what detoxify and carry out what needs to leave your body. When you use over the counter meds that mask and stop symptoms, you are actually prolonging the illness by keeping the cause of it in your body.
The goal is to help your body detoxify and release what it needs to FASTER. You do this by taking certain foods and supplements that support the bodies detoxification pathways and parasympathetic (healing) system.
Natural Sickness Remedies
Once you are sick or if you feel a sickness coming on. . .
Remember this —> GREAT!
If I want to feel great I need to. . .
G- Get rid of Sugar:
- Immediately stop consuming all forms of sugar, grains, and high carbohydrate food (bread, crackers, cereal, pasta, desserts, alcohol). Sugar will feed the bacteria and virus as well as promote inflammation in the body. Eating sugar will make your sickness last way longer than it needs to because it is feeding the problem.
THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT STEP! Sleeping is one of the most powerful healing modalities available. The body detoxifies, rebuilds, and renews while we sleep.
More importantly to know, you can only be in 1 of 2 states at any given time. Sympathetic or parasympathetic. You are in a sympathetic state when you are stressed, worried, anxious, angry, etc. In that sympathetic state, your immune system is SHUT OFF!
Every day we are exposed to bacteria and viruses that could make us sick, but your body is fully capable of keeping you healthy IF your immune system is turned ON. This is why you get sick when you are stressed or worried all of the time.
In a parasympathetic state, your immune system is turned ON and can heal any sickness you have going on. The goal is to TURN IT ON, and you do that by doing things that bring you joy, pleasure, gratitude, and rest. Deep breathing also triggers your parasympathetic nervous system. Do whatever you can to get into a parasympathetic state because you could eat the best food and take the most amazing supplements, but if your immune system is shut off, you will not heal.
E- Eat easy to digest foods:
- Digestion takes up most of your body’s energy. The goal is to use as much of the body’s energy towards healing verses digesting.
- Fasting and drinking only water and liquids will absolutely heal the body in the fastest way possible.
- Simply focus on plenty of healthy fats, soups, smoothies, teas, and liquids.
A- Add in key healing food and drink
- Consume foods that will strengthen the immune system, destroy bacteria, and aid in the healing processes.
- Bone broth: homemade or this bone broth protein powder
- Healthy fats: coconut oil, avocado, ghee/butter, olive oil
- Probiotic rich food and drinks: apple cider vinegar, coconut water kefir, fermented greens powder.
- Drink as much water as you can
- Your immune system relies on a well-hydrated body to stimulate detoxification pathways.
- Water with apple cider vinegar, herbal tea, or lemon water are the best.
T- Take Supplements
These are my go-supplements to aid the body in healing and recovering from anything.
- Vitamin D3
- Vitamin D is one of the most healing agents in the entire body. It plays a huge role in the regulation of genes, hormones, and antioxidants in the body. It strengthens the cells and systems needed for the body to fight any disease, infection, bacteria, or virus.
- Vitamin D increases the levels of protective antioxidants, increases key hormones, and strengthens the immune system.
- Get out in the sun for 15-20 minutes if possible or supplement with vitamin D3. 10,000IUs when sick.
If it is winter or you just can’t manage to get out in the sun each day, these are the most powerful and effective vitamin D3 supplements I recommend:
For any sickness + daily use for prevention
- Vitamin C:
- Vitamin C is an incredibly healing, detoxifying, and immune building nutrient. It is a proven and essential nutrient needed for the immune system to function and produce glutathione, the bodies master antioxidant. White blood cells also need high amounts of Vitamin C to function and fight infection.
- Vitamin C also supports the production of interferons. Interferons are produced when the presence of pathogens is detected. They facilitate the ability of cells to launch protective cellular defenses
- Take 500mg-1g daily, plus eat vitamin C rich foods like bell peppers, lemon, lime, grapefruit, broccoli, and strawberries.
This is the best, whole foods, bioavailable vitamin C powder I have found. Love what it does for glowing skin!
- 80% of your immune system is located in your gut. Your microbiome consists of the millions of bacteria that live within you and they are responsible for keeping you healthy and fighting off all harmful bacteria, viruses, and infection.
- Probiotics are an essincail part to heal any sickness or disease.
- You must have an abundance of good bacteria to keep the bad bacteria and other invaders in check.
- Live a probiotic lifestyle and consume Probiotic pills and liquids daily, especially when sick.
- Essential Oils:
- Essential oils are full of antioxidants and other healing plant compounds that strengthen the bodies natural defense system and fight off any bacterial or viral infections.
- The following oils are powerful immune supporting agents: Thieves or Onguard, Lemon, Orange, Frankincense, Oil of oregano
- Defuse, take internally, or rub on bottoms of feet
- The chaga mushroom is a vital part of a pathogen-proof immune system. Chaga contains one of nature’s highest amounts of SODs, the most potent antioxidant enzymes in the human body. It is proven to increase NK cell activity, a major component of the innate immune system, by up to 300 percent. Studies have shown that using chaga is an effective way to fight against bacteria, viruses, and inflammatory diseases.
- I love drinking chaga in the form of a tea blended with coconut oil and ghee for extra bioavailability of the nutrients and the immunity boost of the essecail fatty acids.
My favorite way to consume this mushroom is through this reishi mushroom tea
- Herbal Teas
- There are many wonderful herbal teas designed with herbal combinations to fight any sickness or whatever you may have going on. Simply go to your local health food store and buy an organic form of a blend designed for what you are struggling with.
- Colloidal Silver
- Colloidal silver consists of silver atoms suspended in distilled ion-less water. The particles of silver are small enough to penetrate on a cellular level and destroy pathogens of all types, including bacteria, fungal spores, parasites, and viruses.
- It is a powerful healing substance that can be used as an antibiotic. It is antibacterial, antiviral, anti-inflammatory, and is especially beneficial for colds, flu, throat, pink eye, ear infections, and pneumonia.
- Take internally or apply topically to skin, eye, or eyes.
- Digestive Enzymes
- Digestive enzymes digest your food for you letting your body use its energy towards healing verses digesting. Enzymes also help absorb the nutrients from your food and use them to aid in healing and repair.
- Take digestive enzymes at each meal when you are sick!
Using Mind to Heal the Body
Although food and supplements are great, nothing will have a bigger impact on your healing than your mind. The mind physically changes the brain which then physically changes the body.
Taking breaks throughout the day to visualize a healthy body, visualise healing going through your body, generate the feeling of gratitude as if you are already healed, and imagining what it would look and feel like to wake up the next day completely healed is generating healing chemicals, hormones, and compounds that medicine can’t touch.
Remember the placebo effect, THOUSANDS of people heal everyday simply taking a sugar pill because the BELEIVE that pill will heal them.
Your body responds to your beliefs, thoughts, and words. Constantly saying ‘I’m sick’, ‘I’m tired’, etc. is programming your body to be more sick and tired. Change your language to “I am healing” or “my body is getting better each day”.
- Avoid sugar, grains, and alcohol
- Eat easy to digest foods, liquids, teas, healthy fats, and bone broths.
- Take time each day to get in a parasympathetic state to turn your immune system on:
- Deep breathe for 3-5 minutes
- Focus on what you are grateful for
- Take a nap
- Do what you love
- Take a walk
- Choose a few of the supplements above to take daily
- Every morning, a few times throughout the day, and at night, visualize healing going through your body, generate the feeling of gratitude as if your healing has already happened.
- Use your language and thoughts each day to heal:
- Don’t say: ‘I am so sick’, ‘I feel terrible’ etc.
- Do say: ‘My body is in the process of healing’, ‘My immune system is strong and healing whatever needs to be healed”