How This Nourishes Your Body
First, lets talk about some problems with coconut milk these days which creates the need for Homemade Coconut milk
- Most carton coconut milks are filled with preservatives and fillers that are not good on the body. Most contain Carrageenan, which is a cancer causing compound. We want all of the goodness of coconut milk, without the other ingredients that should not be in our bodies.
- Buying a whole coconut, cracking it open, and making your own milk is VERY time consuming. Although I lived in Costa Rica and made milk from fresh coconuts often, the time it takes is annoying.
- SOLUTION: Buy coconut flakes or shredded coconut! You can use it for OH so many things from cookies to bars, to milk, to butter. Most health food stores sell it in bulk for super cheap.
Notes on Homemade Coconut milk
So here, we make our own coconut milk: Fresh, pure, and raw.
You can also have so many variations to flavor your coconut milk including:
- Chocolate: 3 tablespoons cacao powder, 2 tablespoons raw honey.
- Vanilla: ½ tsp vanilla extract, pinch of sea salt, honey or stevia if you want to add sweetness
- Strawberry: ½ cup fresh or frozen strawberries
- Put coconut in high powered blender and add water.
- Blend on high for several minutes until thick and creamy.
- Pour through a mesh colander first to get most of the coconut out, and then squeeze through a towel or several thicknesses of cheesecloth to get remaining pieces of coconut out.
- Sometimes I do not even strain it if you do not mind some thickness and small coconut particles. Or if you are adding it to soups or teas.
- Flavor options- add in after all coconut has been strained out
- Drink immediately or store in the fridge.