Healthy digestion is the cornerstone of health. Any health concern you are dealing with will be helped by strengthening your digestion.
I often hear people complain about gas, boating, constipation- but other symptoms that may seem are unrealted to digestion are also symptoms that the digestive system needs work such as hormone imbalances, any skin issue, and low energy.
Even if you are eating organic, whole food- you may not be actually absorbing and utilizing all of the incredible nutrition it has to offer if you if our digestion is not working as it should.
Learn more about how to eat for optimal health and digestion here.
Cliff Notes to Healthy Digestion
How to Eat
The state we are eating in is what determines HOW our body uses the food we are eating. You could be eating the healthiest food in the world, but if you are angry, sad, rushed etc., your body will assimilate that in a toxic way- which slows metabolism and stores fat.
- Set aside time for each meal- and allow your attention to be just on that- your meal. Your body needs to be focused on food and in relaxation response to begin the digestive process.
- Take 5 deep breathes before each meal. This puts your body into relaxation response and allows for digestion to begin.
- Really focus on the tastes and sensations of the food. Chew until liquid. When we do not chew our food well, our digestive system has to work so hard at breaking down the large pieces- leading to constipation, bloated, and low energy.
- Go for a short walk after each meal to help with digestion and metabolism.
- Do not drink liquids during a meal- this dilutes the digestives enzymes you need to digest and use the nutrients in your foods. Drink 15 minutes before a meal and wait 2 hours after a meal.
- Try no to eat in a angry, worried, or rushed state- this shuts down the digestive system.
What to Eat
- Eating an noninflammatory, nutrient rich diet will provide the nutrients and enzymes you need to keep your digestive system in great shape.
- Avoid Sugar, gluten, non organic pasteurized dairy, and vegetable oils as all of these are highly inflammatory and cause digestion issues.
- Water: Ever morning, start your day with at least 20 oz. of water followed by a mug of warm water with lemon. Try to drink at least 64-ounces of water every day, not at meals as this dilutes the enzymes needs to properly digest your food!
- Have fermented foods and drinks at each meal- these are HUGE in helping digestion and assimilation of nutrients. They will provide the enzymes and acids needed. Example: sauerkraut, apple cider vinegar, beet kvass, kefir, etc.
Supplements for Healthy Digestion
- Magnesium 300mg- calms nervous system.
- Take a high-quality probiotic. This helps to balance the good and bad bacteria in your gut, which is essential for proper digestive function. Probiotics are also useful in fighting IBS, which can contribute to constipation.
- Probiotic liquids such as coconut water kefir.
- Take digestive enzymes with meals- this will digest the food for you so your system does not have to work as hard.
- Drink 1 tablespoon of Apple Cider Vinegar in water before meals. This provides your body with organic acids and enzymes needed for digestion.
- Digestive herbal teas
Of course, some may already have digestive issues that need to be healed. I wrote about how to heal digestive issues here. Also, natural remedies for constipation here and how to have a healthy poop here.
What have you found that works for you? What have you found that makes you bloated/gassy/ irritable? Let me know below!