How This Nourishes Your Body
The tiny little goji berry packs a serious nutritional punch. In original Chinese medicine, the goji berry was noted for its youth promoting and detoxifying effects.Traditional herbal uses of the goji berry range from strengthening the liver and purifying the blood, to protecting healthy vision and revitalizing the energy stores of the body.
For more than 2,000 years, Goji berries have been praised for their nutritional and healing properties. This tiny little fruit contains:
1. 18 kinds of amino acids
2. 21 trace minerals
3. high amounts of antioxidants
6. calcium, potassium, iron, zinc, selenium, riboflavin, vitamin C.
Goji berries are rich in antioxidants that aid in the functioning of the immune system, and help fight the free radicals that contribute to cancer and ageing.
Superfood Benefits and Reasons to Eat
1. Anti-inflammatory: The beta-sitosterol in goji berries is an anti-inflammatory agent that helps lower cholesterol, protects against heart disease, and improves the condition of the skin. In Asia, goji berries have been used as a cultural medicinal for inflammatory based disorders such as asthma, allergies, chronic pain, and cancer.
2. Enhance immunity: The polysaccharides found in goji berries have been shown to strengthen the immune system and act as fuel for healthy intestinal bacteria, which make up 60% of the immune system .
3. Prevent Disease: Studies have shown the abundance of flavonoids and antioxidants in goji berries may inhibit the growth of both prostate cancer and colon cancer cells. The antioxidants also protect our health at the cellular level from free radical damage and encourage cell renewal in the body.
4. Detoxify the body: Goji Berries have been used for years to support healthy liver function and cleanse the blood of the entire body.
Sprinkle on granola, yogurt, or salads
Blend in smoothies
Use in homemade trail mix