How This Nourishes Your Body
Forms of Magnesium
Magnesium is a miracle and arguably one of the most important minerals in the body as it’s an essential cofactor required by 700-800 enzyme systems that promote thousands of biochemical reactors in the body.
Even glutathione, your body’s most powerful antioxidant that has even been called “the master antioxidant,” requires magnesium for its synthesis. Unfortunately, most people are not aware of this, and millions suffer daily from magnesium deficiency without even knowing it.
There are many different forms of magnesium, how it a person to choose?!
Two key points to remember:
Different forms of magnesium affect the body differently.
It is BEST to supplement with a variety of forms of magnesium daily to reap the most benefit!
Different Forms of Magnesium
Chloride for Absorption
Because of its water solubility, magnesium chloride is probably the most bioavailable form of magnesium, especially with people who have digestive and nutrient absorption issues. Magnesium chloride is typically found in seawater, which makes swimming in the ocean an excellent way to supplement your magnesium as well as detoxification.
The best way to get magnesium chloride is through:
- topical spray
- ocean minerals
Glycinate for Sleep
Magnesium glycinate is one of the most absorbable forms of magnesium capsules you can take. Very well absorbed, magnesium glycinate is relaxing, good for leaky gut and nerve pain. This is one of the best magnesium supplements for those with a deficiency or who simply want to boost levels due to stress. This is great if you are looking how to get rid of anxiety.
Malate for Energy
Malic acid is a key component in energy production in the body. This is great for energy, muscle, and joints.
Sulfate for Muscles
Also known as Epsom salt, which is helpful for sore, aching muscles or detoxification. This form of magnesium is a laxative when taken internally.
Taurate & Orotate for Energy and Stamina
Good for heart palpitations, irregular heartbeat, high blood pressure, etc. Great for cardiovascular health, athletes, and endurance. Extremely well absorbed and pushed into the cells.
Threonate – For Memory and Brain
Makers claim that magnesium threonate can penetrate the cell wall, making it incredibly absorbable. Great for neurological issues, brain injuries, depression, anxiety, and PTSD.
Citrate for Relaxation
A common form of magnesium (found in magnesium drinks). Can have a laxative effect if taken in large doses. Relaxing, good for kidneys and muscle pain.
Recommend Magnesium Supplements
Like all supplements I talk about, I am interested in QUALITY and BIOAVAILABILITY. Many magnesium supplements on the market contain forms that the body does not absorb well, contains fillers/preservatives, and many have been found to even contain heavy metals!
Magnesium has personally been a live saver for me. It is one of the main supplements that noticeably reduces my anxiety and gives me energy. I have noticed that taking magnesium at night has also stopped my teeth grinding!
As mentioned, I love to take all different forms of magnesium each day, here is how I do it:
In the morning I like to switch off between:
- Ocean Minerals
- Wake Up Maggie by Corganic 3:
- Contains three different high-quality forms of magnesium (magnesium taurate, magnesium orotate and magnesium malate)
- It gives you only pure magnesium molecules. No fillers, excipients or binders.
- Gives you boron, a key cofactor in magnesium reactions.
- Gives you a balanced and powerful combination of magnesiums that increase energy, mental clarity, mood, and endurance.
- Comes in a tasteless powder I like to mix in my morning water or smoothie!
At Night I like to switch between:
- Good Night Maggie – Mag Glycinate
- Gives you the most concentrated form of magnesium in an easy-to-absorb form.
- Buffers the pH in your intestines, allowing for more magnesium to be absorbed via the passive pathway of magnesium absorption.*
- Reduces the hydration shell that usually surrounds elemental magnesium. This not only helps with absorption, but seems to help limit magnesium’s potential laxative effect.*
- Allows some of the magnesium to be absorbed via the amino acid active pathway, thus providing two ways for your body to make use of magnesium;
- It saves your body having to attach amino acids to the magnesium for active absorption because they’re already chelated onto the magnesium.
- Topical Magnesium Spray
- Ancient Minerals Magnesium Oil is considered the gold standard for rapidly restoring cellular magnesium levels through the skin.
- A concentrated transdermal magnesium mineral supplement, our absorbable magnesium oil contains only raw, ultra pure magnesium chloride and other trace minerals drawn from the Ancient Zechstein Seabed in Northern Europe.
- One teaspoon contains approximately 560 mg of elemental magnesium.
- I love to spray this on my feet at night
I love pairing Good Night Maggie with Wake Up Maggie to get a total of five different forms of magnesium each day.
By switching off between these magnesium sources, I get multiple different forms throughout the week for the maximum benefit on my mood, hormones, energy, and sleep!
Superfood Benefits and Reasons to Eat
Why You Need Magnesium
The benefits of magnesium are incredibly extensive and can be used to improve any condition you may be struggling with. It is especially important for:
- Regulates cortisol. It calms your nervous system and prevents excessive cortisol.
- Reduces blood sugar by sensitizing insulin receptors.
- Supports thyroid. It is also anti-inflammatory, which helps to quiet the autoimmune inflammation that underlies most thyroid disease.
- Aids sleep.
- Fuels cellular energy. It’s so intricately involved with mitochondria and energy production, that we can safely say: “Without magnesium, there is no cellular energy”.
- Activates vitamin D. Without enough magnesium, vitamin D cannot do its job.
- Slows aging. It prevents telomere shortening, reduces oxidative stress, and enhances the production of glutathione.