How This Nourishes Your Body
Benefits of Sunlight
Okay, so not a super ‘food’ to be exact. HOWEVER, the Vitamin D that the sun provides is so unique and so important for a healthy body and mind.
Over quite some time now, the sun has been demonized. We are told to cover up and limit sun exposure at the risk of cancer and aging. This is another myth about health. Saturated fat is not bad, and neither is the sun. In fact, your body needs both to be in the best health of your life.
In his book, the Vitamin D Solution, Dr. Michael F. Holick explains how millions of Americans are deficient in vitamin D and this is resulting in problems such as: obesity, heart disease, depression, diabetes, fibromyalgia, allergies, and hormone imbalances.
If you are not getting in the sun with little clothing on for 15-30 minutes a day, you are probably deficient in this miracle vitamin and may want to think about supplementation. I love supplementing with Thorne Research’s liquid d3 and k2 combination for optimal absorption and noticeable benefits.
Why We Need Vitamin D
Sunshine stimulates your body to create Vitamin D from the cholesterol waiting below the surface of your skin. Vitamin D Sulfate possesses unique health-promoting properties including strengthening the immune system, balancing hormones, and even killing diseased cells in your body.
In fact, there’s compelling evidence that vitamin D is KEY for proper gene expression.
Scientists have found about 3,000 genes that are regulated by vitamin D. This means that without enough vitamin D, your cells cannot function properly. As a result, their functions are impaired and all sorts of problems begin to take place.
This is why it is so important to get out in the sun, and supplement in times where you can’t. . . your body cannot function properly without it this valuable nutrient.
In the World Today. . .
People are lathering themselves with toxic sunscreens to avoid the sun. Not only are they not allowing their body to receive powerful nutrition, the ingredients in these sun screens often cause more harm to your body than good. These toxic ingredients lead to major hormonal imbalances (aging, mood swings, low energy, low libido).
Because we are covering our skin and avoiding sun exposure, we are not allowing our body to absorb and use this super nutrient. Ever wonder why we get sick more in the winter? It is because we dramatically decrease our exposure to the sun and become vitamin D deficient.
In short: The right amount of sun actually protects you from cancer, and balances your hormones that control the aging process.
Now. . . do not just go bake out in the sun and burn your skin. Each person has their own threshold on how much sun they need a day. People with darker skin typically need more sunlight than those with lighter skin. 10-20 minutes of sunlight per day is a great starting point. Feel the warmth on your skin, absorb that vitamin D, but do not get burnt.
If it is winter or you just can’t manage to get out in the sun each day, these are the most powerful and effective vitamin D3 supplements I recommend:
Items this Superfood is in:
Superfood Benefits and Reasons to Eat
If you suffer from depression, hormonal imbalances, joint pain, multiple sclerosis, acne, or cancer, you may be deficient in Vitamin D. Or if you want more energy and want to take your health to the next level, let the sun kiss that beautiful skin.
Also, young children and pregnant woman are in GREAT need of Vitamin D.
It is essential for proper growth and development in the body.
Not only can vitamin D prevent a variety of birth defects, but it’s now known that you can help prevent a number of chronic diseases in your child, such as asthma, type 1 diabetes, and perhaps even autism by maintaining optimal vitamin D levels while pregnant!
Just 20 minutes of sun exposure a day can . . .
Heal the Body:
- Skin: The sun provides the building blocks necessary for health skin cells. It can help immensely with psoriasis and acne.
- Bones: Vitamin D deficiency among children not only causes overt rickets but also can prevent children from reaching their genetically programmed height and peak bone mass.In adults, Vitamin D deficiency reduces bone mineral density and ultimately leads to osteoporosis. In addition, vitamin D deficiency causes a mineralization defect of the collagen which weakens bones and increases risk if fractures.
- Disease: Like cancer, MS, and heart disease all require sufficient amounts of vitamin D for the body to be healed.
- Cold/flu/sore throat/infection: Vitamin D functions as a sort of internal, natural antibiotic. Next time you get sick or get an infection of any kind, get some sun for fast acting relief!
Heal the Mind:
- Depression/Anxiety: Canadian researchers reviewed 14 studies, consisting of 31,424 participants and found a strong correlation between depression and a lack of Vitamin D. Which makes sense, if your brain cells do not have the nutrients they need to work properly, they won’t, and Vitamin D is a major nutrient needed for all bodily functions. If you suffer from sever depression, consistent exposure to sunlight is key. Or the next time you are feeling sad, go out in the sun for 20 minutes, you will be surprised at the difference it makes!
- Hormone Imbalances and Mood Swings: Vitamin D is an essential part of the endocrine system as it controls several of the adrenal hormones, growth of cells, production of enzymes and has other direct hormonal functions.
- Better Energy and Focus: People exposed to sunlight during day have better cognitive fix than those exposed to artificial light.