How This Nourishes Your Body
What is Kefir?
Kefir is a cultured, enzyme-rich food filled with friendly micro-organisms that help balance your “inner ecosystem.” More nutritious and therapeutic than yogurt, it supplies complete protein, essential minerals, and valuable B vitamins.
It is made by fermenting milk (goat, sheep, cow, coconut) kefir grains or starting culture. After it has fermented, a true superfood remains.
Its unique name comes from the Turkish word “keif,” which means “good feeling.”
For centuries, it’s been used in European and Asian medicine due to the wide variety of conditions it’s been known to cure.
Why Drink Kefir
Kefir is the ultimate probiotic. It contains countless powerful strains of bacteria in a unique bioavailable synergy that no probiotoc pill can touch. It contains compounds and nutrients that cleanse the body, increases energy and strength, promotes glowing skin, regular digestion, and increased immunity!
True beauty food. True health food.
Kefir is easily digested, it cleanses the intestines, provides beneficial bacteria and yeast, vitamins and minerals, and complete proteins.
Kefir is a POWER FOOD for pregnant and nursing women because of the probiotics, amino acids, and minerals it contains that get passed down to the baby, forming its immune system.
How to Make Kefir
Like everything, source matters. Most store bought kefir is made with pasteurized low-quality milk, added sugar, and preservatives- which will do the opposite of what you want for your body.
The reason kefir is amazing for the body is because of the spesific probiotics it contains. Most kefirs on the market contain poor quality and weak probiotics.
For this reason, if you want to experience the powerful benefits of kefir, it is best to make it yourself so you can use high-quality milk and high-quality cultures.
How to Make Kefir:
- Get good quality milk – preferably raw. (goat, sheep, coconut, cow) I use raw goat milk.
- Purchase a high-quality starter culture. These come in grains or powder form. I use Body Ecology’s Starter Culture because of the carefully selected and therapeutic grade strains of bacteria it contains. Plus it is a powder which I think is easier than grains.
- Combine milk and culture and let sit at room temperature for 18-24 hours.
- When you are ready for another batch, simply take a portion of the old kefir and pour it into with more milk.
- Use glass contains and do not let metal touch the milk as it will harm to culture.
Making my own raw goat milk kefir using Body Ecology’s Starter Culture has blown me away with what it has done to my digestion and skin. I always feel great after drinking this miracle ancient elixir!
I don’t do well on pasteurized dairy, but I thrive off raw goat dairy. Experiment to find what milk feels the best to your body!
You can also find my favorite kefir starter here!
Items this Superfood is in:
Superfood Benefits and Reasons to Eat
Benefits of Kefir
- Increased Immunity
- Decreases Inflammation
- Clears skin (acne, eczema, redness)
- Alleviates allergies: asthma, lactose intolerance, seasonal
- Promotes healthy and regular digestion
- Promotes fertility
- Increases Energy
- Provides powerful therapeutic probiotics that transform the body
- Aid in weight loss
- Reduce sugar cravings
- Improves Oral Health by promoting beneficial bacteria that alkalize and fight bad bacteria that cause tooth decay.