Moving is natures antidepressant. The hormones and brain chemicals that get released, and the blood and oxygen delivered to every organ in the body during exercise gives you energy, uplifts your mood, creates focus, balances hormones, slows aging, and prevents disease. I believe most people know this, it is doing it consistently that is the hard part.
During These Five Days:
Two big ideas to know about exercise: Movement is different than exercise- and we need both.
- Movement consistently throughout the day is key- walking, cooking, body weight exercises, stretching etc. The more movement throughout the day, the more changes you will see in your body and health.
- Exercise is taking a specific time to work and move the body, preferable working as hard as you can- getting the heart rate up.
- High-Intensity Interval Training, or HIIT- is the most effective exercise style for maximum fat burning, metabolism boosting, hormone balancing, and energy. Exercising at very high intensity interspersed with periods of moderate rest, is one of the best ways to get in shape.
- Doing 20 minutes of a HIIT exercise will give you better results than going for an hour run!
- Not only does it beat conventional cardio as the most effective and efficient form of exercise, it also provides health benefits you simply cannot get from regular aerobics, such as a tremendous boost in human growth hormone (HGH), aka the “fitness and anti aging hormone.”
- You can do so much at home: push-ups, squats, planks, lunges, pull ups are some of the best exercises you can do for your body. Take 20 minutes, put on some music and simply go through these exercises.
- Light Morning Movement: Moving in the mornings wakes your body up, stimulates your cells, and gets you ready to have an amazing day. It has also been shown to lower cortisol(stress hormone), rev up your metabolism, boost serotonin(happy hormone). Morning movements, even stretching will allow your body to work in harmony and feel light and energized. Each morning, try some stretches, hip circles, or a walk.
- Movement breaks throughout the day: Example: everytime you go to the bathroom, you do some squats or countertop pushups. You go for a walk right after lunch. You take a 2 minute break for some pushups or jumping jacks or dancing! The more movement in the day, the better!