“Your net worth to the world is usually determined by what remains after your bad habits are subtracted from your good ones.” -Benjamin Franklin
Most people know a few changes they can make to become a healthier person, the problem is STICKING to those changes. This is where wiring actions into your brain comes in.
Every thought you think and action you do is building a structure and pathway in your brain- so if you do something over and over- you are literally created a brain full of pathways that drive that behavior. The KEY is to stick it out long enough to make it automatic, and you do that by choosing one thing at a time.
Everything is a habit. How you think and what you do each day can become habits.
Habits are ways of thinking or actions we do that come naturally. Your brain is always looking to be most efficient. It is looking to put as many things as possible an autopilot. Unfortunately, many mindsets and actions that are on autopilot for us, are not in our favor.
Neuroplasticity: scientific discovery proving that we can physically change our brains through our
thoughts and choices. We can physically create new neural pathways and destroy old ones. We can wire
out toxic beliefs, experiences, and thinking patterns and wire in truths, good habits, and outstanding
This is amazing news because we CAN become free from toxic habits, thinking, past experiences, and beliefs. By changing the way you think and changing the actions you do each day, you can rewire your brain, and change your life.
Just like mindsets are habits, so are your daily actions.
That means, you can wire out unhealthy and unproductive habits you have each day, and you can wire in habits that lead you to your goals and the person you want to be.
If you do not naturally drink water, eat healthy, or exercise- that can be wired in to where is does become your natural.
It takes living intentionally each day, but eventually- it becomes part of your identity- and not doing it becomes harder than choosing to do it because you have engraved it into your brain.
- Biggest determining factor in success- happiness – productivity
- You only have a certain amount of will power per day- choices, social media, switching your attention constantly from one thing to the next- all drain it it. We intentionally make so many choices each day. The goal is to put as many things on autopilot in the brain so you have more brain power throughout the day.
- This means that instead of intentionally having to think about eating healthy, working out, reading, etc- these can become automatic.
- The more you have to think about, the more your will power goes down so by the end of the day- you will be exhausted- not making the best decisions
- The goal is to create habits so you do not have to use willpower.
- Use your will power to create habits!
- Put as many things on autopilot as possible by creating daily routines.
Pick Your Keystone Habit
- Choose one habit that if you mastered it, it would have the biggest impact on your life. What is one thing you can do to change the most areas in your life.
- What is one thing that you could probably stop doing that would significantly change your life. Stop that- and replace that with something else.
What is Your Why
- Why are you making the positive choices that you are making? – focus on that and you will be able to handle any hard times that come with making the change.
- When you feel like giving up, return to your why.
- Do it daily- Needs to be done daily for a period of time, at least 30 days. It takes 66 days to make it automatic, and something you do without thinking about.
Embrace the Process
- Taking on any new mindset or habit goes through 3 phases-
- first 10 days seem unbearable, questioning your decision to take it on
- next 10 days seem just uncomfortable
- last ten days seem unstoppable- you begin to see the benefits.
- Keep going despite feelings at the beginning, you truly are developing into an amazing person, carrying an amazing purpose only you can accomplish, even if it does not feel like it at times.
Even making the decision to start making habits is a habit;)
Choose ONE habit that you want to make automatic- eating health, drinking water, moving more, oil pulling etc. Do it EVERYDAY for 1-2 months.