Menstrual Phase: Week One
- Energy: Energy is at its lowest.
- Hormones: Hormones are at their lowest: progesterone and testosterone take a dip.
- Mood: Your menstruation week is the BEST time for self-reflection and evaluation because this week your brain has more connections to both the right and left side, allowing you to see the big picture of things and evaluate how the month went and your future. Many women feel relieved when they learn that feelings such as restlessness and dissatisfaction during the menstrual phase are completely normal.
- Thinking ability: Now is an amazing time to see what has been working, what has not, and what you want to change going into the next month. Your intuition and ability to hear God is also strengthened at this time. Evaluate life and your goals in this phase. This is the ONLY time in the month when the left and right hemispheres of your brain have a better connection with each other leading to deeper intuition, insight, and revelation!
- Exercise: Restorative exercises like walking, yoga, and pilates are best at this time as high intensity workouts can spike cortisol and further lower the levels of your progesterone that are already low at this phase.
- Nutritional Needs: Now is a good time to eat foods that stabilize mood and cravings as well has eat foods that are rich in minerals to restore what you are losing. Healthy Fats, cooked veggies, and root veggies are great at stabilizing mood and cravings.
- Cervical Fluid: Blood
Follicular Phase: Week Two
- Energy: Energy levels begin to increase and you are feeling more energized than the week before (menstrual cycle)
- Hormone: Low levels of estrogen, progesterone and testosterone. Estrogen begins increasing.
- Mood: Most creative and outgoing.
- Thinking ability: Now is a good time to start new projects, plan goals for the month, and brainstorm for the future.
- Exercise: This is a good week to do more cardio and challenging workouts – take advantage of higher energy levels.
- Nutritional Needs: This week is a great time to eat sprouts and fermented foods! These foods contain 3-endole-carbinol, which helps the body metabolize and break down estrogen- which is the main cause of PMS.
- Cervical Fluid: None to sticky/creamy.
Ovulatory Phase: Week Three
- Energy: Your energy levels are at their highest of the whole month during ovulation week.
- Hormones: You get a spike in estrogen and FSH (follicular-stimulating hormone). Your testosterone also rises.
- Mood: This is a good time to connect with community and have important or hard conversations with people. (MEN – best time to talk to your wives;) )
- Thinking ability: Your hormone levels at this time strengthen your communication skills. Now is a good time to work on projects with people and/or share your plans.
- Exercise: This is the best time to do higher impact trainings such as: weight lifting and HIIT as because your testosterone will be providing you with more energy and stamina.
- Nutritional Needs: This week is the best time to eat plenty of raw foods. Estrogen dominance is the main cause of PMS symptoms- you want to eat things that help break down estrogen in your body. The fiber and antioxidants in raw veggies break down and move estrogen out of the body. Raw juices and fresh veggies also ensure that the liver gets glutathione, which is required to break down estrogen in the liver.
- Cervical Fluid: Vaginal discharge increases and is clear, wet, slippery, or stretchy on your day of peak fertility.
Luteal Phase: Week Four
- Energy: Energy is beginning to lessen slightly- especially days before your cycle.
- Hormones: Your body increases in estrogen, progesterone, and testosterone in first half then a decrease in estrogen, progesterone, and testosterone right before the menstrual phase.
- Mood: Now is a good time to take care of personal tasks, errands, and household duties.
- Thinking Ability: This week is the time to take care of administrative work like bills, and finish projects you are working on.
- Exercise: The 3 days before you cycle, begin doing more restorative exercise like yoga, walking, pilates etc.
- Nutritional Needs: This is the week to eat feeds that are rich in B vitamins, magnesium, and fiber. Like leafy green veggies, liver, and quinoa.
- Cervical Fluid: Creamy/Sticky