You have your old self, and then you have your new self, the person you want to be, feel, do, and there is a river in between. The hardest part about change is not making the same decisions you did the day before, and consciously directing your thoughts until you form a new path.
Process of change in the brain:
- Cells are constantly receiving information and constantly replicating themselves. If we have been constantly feeding them cortisol, anxiety, etc they have replicated more receptors that emotion, so that is why your brain signals you to get it more of.
- When you do a repeated action, or feel a repeated emotion, it becomes a habit- when you do the habit you have learned, your brains produces seritonaon and dopamphine and endorphanines, which make it hard not to do it.
- In other words if you worry all of the time, and it has become a habit, even though you do not want to do it, your brain automatically takes that pathway because it is the most familiar and thinks that is the right state to be in.
- Same with any bad habit or addiction. When you do it, you produce seritonaon and dopamphine and endorphanines, which make it hard not to do it. Like checking your phone all of the time for example.
- When stopping a habit or way of thinking, you will go through a bit of transition phase- as in your cells are literally withdrawing because you are not giving them what they are used to.
- The great news is when you start doing something new- your brain begins to create new receptor sites and new neural pathways!
- HOWEVER the feeling of this happening gets people tripped up. When they feel the withdrawal from the cells, they assign a meaning to that feeling of “this is uncomfortable, this is hard” or “this does not feel right, ill try again another time”
- Feeling resistance is the BEST signal that something BIG is happening. You need to assign a positive message to that feeling of resistance and you become unstoppable because you know that in just a short time, your brain will be completely rewired.
- This gives people relief knowing what is actually happening so they can expect it, and know that they are not weak or lack will power, they are just rewiring their brain, and the feeling of withdrawal is real, but will go away.