What are your adrenals?
Adrenal Fatigue: Did you know that two tiny glands, no bigger than a grape are responsible for your energy levels, your endurance and your vitality? Your adrenal glands act like the gas tank of your body, they are extremely important to your quality of life.
Adrenal fatigue is something affecting a great number of people today and is often misdiagnosed and overlooked.
Living in these days of uncertainty and overwhelm causes much stress, which is not easy on the adrenal glands. With our busy go go go lifestyle, fueling with caffeine and winding down with alcohol, our adrenals begin to ware down.
When the adrenals are tired the body may experience a number of different symptoms.
Symptoms of Adrenal Fatigue
- feeling exhausted in the morning and have a hard time getting out of bed
- dark circles under the eyes
- sensitivity to light, difficulty seeing at night
- a craving for salt
- low stamina for stress, easy irritability
- excess mood responses after eating carbohydrates such as pasta, breads, and sugar
- chronic infections (bacterial, viral, fungal, yeast)
- low blood pressure
- tired but wired feeling, poor sleep
- cravings for sweets/carbs, intolerance to alcohol
- lack of libido
Why Take Care of Your Adrenals
If you suspect you might have tired adrenals, it is important to address this right away. Adrenal glands are extremely important to your immune function and they also help the thyroid to function properly.
While adopting an adrenal fatigue diet and lifestyle certainly won’t hurt if you don’t have adrenal fatigue, the way to confirm adrenal fatigue is a cortisol saliva test.
There are different stages of adrenal fatigue. The beginning stages you actually will be more alert and want to constantly go go go. Unfortunately, if you keep going like this, your adrenals will become drained and eventually lead to extreme tiredness, lack of sex drive, irritability, depression, anxiety, apathy and disinterest in the world around.
Basically: We ALL should be doing things to take care of our adrenals to preserve our vitality, energy, and well being the rest of life.
- Sleep: This is probably the most important step in healing your adrenal glads. Try to get at least 8 hours each night. Having a night time routine where you shut off all stimulation at least one hour before bed is also EXTREMELY helpful.
- Stress Management: Whatever helps you de-stress- do it! Every day, make time to do something that destresses you. Deep breathing, a hot bath, a nap, whatever it takes. Least 30min to an hour a day.
- A diet rich in clean proteins, healthy fats, antioxidant rich leafy greens and vegetables, low glycemic fruits, nuts, seeds, and healing herbs.
- Avoid caffeine, alcohol, and sugar as much as possible.
- Body Ecology Products: probiotics, greens powders, and minerals.
- A therapeutic fish oil
- B Complex Vitamin C and Magnesium: Cortisol (stress) depletes your body of many nutrients but especially vitamin C magnesium as well as the B vitamins. Supplementing with these for a while will nourish the adrenals.
- Adaptogens: For centuries, Chinese and Ayurvedic medicine have used adaptogen botanicals as energizing herbal tonics to naturally support the body’s ability to cope with anxiety, fatigue and the aging process. They also rejuvenate and tone the adrenal system, which in turn promotes the healthy regulation of cortisol, the “stress hormone”. Armed with the unique ability to “adapt” their function to your body’s specific needs, Panax ginseng, Ashwagandha, maca and Rhodiola are my favorite adaptogens.
- Salt: Adrenal fatigue depletes salt levels in the body. This is detrimental to your energy and mineral levels. Mix a half teaspoon of a high quality pink Himalayan salt in a large glass of water first thing in the morning and drink the whole thing. This helps your adrenals get started. For many people, it’s like flipping on a light switch. This will not contribute to high blood pressure, and it will reduce adrenal stress. You can do this throughout the day and around the mid day crash if you wish as well.
Taking these PLUS your daily supplements is a wonderful day to be on your way to an adrenal healing, thriving, healthy lifestyle.